Gecko and his territory
I wanted to write about the Gecko, the Firefoxe’s background engine thinking it is a little browser.
It is not.
It is a layout engine for multiple browsers that originated in the fold of Linux background.
It takes the content and formatting information and displays on the browsers bland screen.
Gecko has been known previously by the code names “Raptor”
I have decided to support the lightest browser in the line of Abiword as the lightest but a very powerful word processor.
I faintly remembered about its Linux origin.
Currently I favour Midori, IceApe, Dillo and SeaMonkey and not Firefox.
FireFox is light on its own but easily get bloated over 100 MiB with cookies.
- Download size: 10,27 MB
- Installed size: 29,44 MB
- Package filename: iceape-browser_2.0.11-5_i386.deb
- Source package: iceape
- Download size: 19,65 MB
- Installed size: 48,37 MB
- Package filename: seamonkey-2.4-1.el6.x86_64.rpm
- Source package: seamonkey-2.4-1.el6.src.rpm
- Download size: 441,81 KB
- Installed size: 1,04 MB
- Package filename: dillo-2.1.1-1.ssl.i386.rpm
- Source package: dillo-2.1.1-1.ssl.src.rpm
- Download size: 480,73 KB
- Installed size: 1,79 MB
- Package filename: wget-1.12-1.4.el6.i686.rpm
- Source package: wget-1.12-1.4.el6.src.rpm
- Download size: 1,38 MB
- Installed size: 5,15 MB
- Package filename: lynx-2.8.7-7.fc16.x86_64.rpm
- Source package: lynx-2.8.7-7.fc16.src.rpm
- Download size: 1,81 MB
- Installed size: 2,87 MB
- Package filename: links-2.2-13.fc15.i686.rpm
- Source package: links-2.2-13.fc15.src.rpm
- Download size: 53,20 KB
- Installed size: 599,80 KB
- Package filename: midori-devel-0.3.6-1.fc15.x86_64.rpm
- Source package: midori-0.3.6-1.fc15.src.rpm
I could not find a single article in the web stating their download size (compressed) and installed size.
This information is mandatory when new releases are made and they should also give a breakdown of the size of the cookies allowed when fully integrated.