Cloud Computing and what one can expect in year 2012?
It is too early to predict but we are gearing up to lot of innovations.
These innovations come not because we ave become groovy but because of necessity.
Already some writers who have seen the “Sea Change” making analogy to Volkswagen Era.
It is Hitlers creation but it outlasted him by a century.
The people car , the Volkswagen (People’s Wagon) he built to take advantage of harsh conditions in the Africa where water for cooling was not available Beetle was even built in Uganda in latter part of the last century.
Now the analogy is different. Fossil fuel is becoming exhausted with www in vogue and the whole world connected one need not travel far to get new technology and the freedom for innovation open for everybody.
In comes Amazon Kindle and its Silk Browser to go with the Cloud Computers we are in for a sea change.
Amazon will lead at a time whole western economy is collapsing due to “greed based economy” that was developed by greedy high flying CEOs.
One need not fly one need is a fast Internet and only a Silk browser to be connected and high flyers are wasting money of their own and cloud will actually make many people redundant in the IT industry employed by corporate clients.
There is centralization and decentralization going in hand in hand.
When there is economic crisis redundancy will not be tolerated and machine will take over.
In this case the computer.
In another 20 years it is predicted the “cloud cluster computers” will surpass human intelligence and CEOs become redundant.
Small become beautiful and big and bigger (IBM mentality) mentality will be replaced by “Ant Philosophy”.
Each small unit of computer power (Linux Clustering replaced Super Computers and even NASA used it when the money supply went down) will add and make “a cloud of computers” super powerful that few companies (they can thing big though) will inherit this phenomenon. Companies who ignore this will have to buy the resources or become subservient.
I will list the order of things in small to big with or without the company involved.
1. Silk Browser and Amazon
2. Kindle Fire
3. Amazon Cloud Service.
Mind Amazon has only silk Browser and the Linux Utility to run the cloud systems and have no OS.
4. Eye OS and any free software browser from Dilli to Midori to Gecko go with it and the Apache.
It is available at SourceForge free.
At eyeOS, we believe in free software as a way to share new technologies and make a contribution to the community, to the explorers who have great ideas but lack the resources to build upon them.
Open Source runs in our blood. It is our story and our legacy. eyeOS was born as an Open Source Project 6 years ago and since then it has thrived with a growing worldwide community of 16,000 active members, 70 minor and major releases over time, chapters in more than 60 countries and downloads that have recently passed the 1 million mark.
5. Suse and its Cloud Service.
One can own a Cloud with Suse.
OpenSUSE comes with customized Eucalyptus, OpenNebula and OpenStack. It also supports ownCloud 2.
This is a do-it-yourself Web-based storage cloud application. OpenSUSE claims that “ownCloud is different from solutions like Google Docs, Dropbox or Ubuntu One in that it lets you own the data.
6. Not to forget Ubuntu ONE comes next.
7. Google with own OS will be the next with little community support but corporate mentality unless it decides to make amends and forge with open software.
8. Even though small Puppy Linux derivative Slako will be there to take us to the post.
9. Then the other players like Dropbox will take their due place.
10. Number 10 is any combinations above which include Meebo, JoliClouud and CloudSUB.
There will be 5 tier service protocol that will emerge.
1. Mini Browser like Silk Browser.
2. Thin Clients with lot of OEM guys having to port cloud services by default without an operating system bias. They have to produce Thin Client systems with or without proprietary operating systems.
3. Cloud Service with Clusters of Clouds in the backyard (even in my own backyard if an N.G.O will provide me the resources).
4. Mobiles (Meego, Meebo and Mobilin derivatives to link with cloud.
5. Then the all important Tablets Galore from Kindle Fire, Barnes Noble to all that come from China (China has not done anything in the line of Linux but it will flood the market first the mobile and then the Tablets).
In this 5 tier system where does the Desktop stands?
It is nowhere and most of them in the attic or porting eyeOS with Apache and Midori and become a server instead of a stand alone desktop.
Desktop era is numbered and even laptop is not immune unless, they reduce the price and add some battery power and docking mechanisms to go with it.
Instead of laptops S.S.D type of Microchip will storm the market instead of Flash Drives probably with James Bond type Audio-Video capabilities.
I may be dead by then.