It is mind boggling for a Linux guy.
Once a year I format the root partition and sometimes leaving behind the home partition for a while and install the Old / New version of the Linux distribution in that partition.
This time I had to delay it till March (including Mageia) since most of the distributions including Debian delivered or released the distribution (except PCLinux which was right on the button during December) in late February or March.
The slowest and the laziest was SuSe, though.
My work and cricket world cup were other distractions.
Mind you I install many distributions for various reasons and for testing and not because I lack anything on PCLinuxFullMonty.
Other reason is I need to fill the hard disk so that it is not left idling and rotten.
I will list the hassle a Microsoft guy has to go through.
1. S/He has to backup the data.
2. S/He has to remove the crap the OEM guy install
3. S/He has to download the free software
4.Then has to install the paid software
5. Then anti-virus software
6. Then he has to get Firefox, Opera or safari
Suffice is to say in this time I will install 15 (3×5) distributions in my main computer and two other spare ones I use for testing.
One of the major benefit of Linux is I save lot of time and do other interesting things like watching cricket or water the plants or feed the fish and testing distributions and this time additionally Sinhala Linux distributions.
This list is endless and I will stop at this point and give you a list Linux Free (point number 3 expanded) software that one get FREE
Please go to NiNite web site and get them free if you are a Microsoft user.
If you have chosen the right Linux distribution of your choice you will get all this and more in one go except perhaps Flash.
1. Web Browser Group- Firefox, Chrome, Safari or Opera
2. Messaging Group-Skype, Pidgin, Google Talk, Yahoo, Messenger, Thunderbird
3. Media group-iTunes, audacity, KMplayer, HULU, Songbird and many more
4. Runtimes – Flash, Java
5. Imaging Group- GIMP, Picasa, Inkscape
6. Office Group-LibreOffice, OpenOffice,Adobe PDF Reader, CutePDF, SumatraPDF, Foxit reader
7. File sharing-uTorrent, eMule
8. Security- What a medical problem for sick machine?
9. Cloud computing-Dropbox, Google earth
10. Image Burners-Nero
11.Compression- win 7, winzip
13. Developer tools-Putty, Python, Filezilla
14. Others I may have missed
You do not have to do any of these if you select a Linux distribution and all are packed in one and installed in one go.
What a waste of time trying to run windows 7.
That is why Windows users do not have any creativity and continue to lack creativity at work place or on the go.
They are Potato (not hot potato) Guys bloated with Image of Crisis.