- July 2015
- May 2015
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
- September 2010
- August 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- 000 Hits?
- 1000 Hits?
- 20th Anniversary
- 5 S- Strategy
- ABiWord saved me!
- Absolute Linux
- All Blacks
- Ama Mia
- Amazon Silk
- American Politics
- Apple Mac
- Apple Platform
- Artificial Intelligence
- Arts and Music in Linux
- Asus Transformer PRIME
- Berry Linux
- Bird Watching
- Birds Migration
- Bodhi Linux
- Brain Myths
- Brain Strome
- Brain Train
- British Diplomacy
- Bulky Browsers
- Bussiness Model
- Caine 2.5
- Call of nature
- Ceylon Cricket and Corruption
- Change habits?
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Cloud Computing
- CloudUSB and Cloud Support
- CO2 Footprint
- Common Sense
- Computer Music
- Convergence Strategy
- Cricket in General
- Criteria for Linux
- Culpable Offense
- Customized Linux
- Cyling to Work
- Debian Collection-Sinhala Capability
- Debt Collectors
- Dedication to Richard "Rick" Rescorla
- Demo Linux
- Dennis MacAlistair Ritchie
- Desktops becoming Fatty
- Digital Linux
- Does the quality Count?
- Dog Lover
- Dog Puzzle
- Dogs and Digital Tombs
- DoKuWiKi and WikiSpaces
- DOSand Atari games of the yesteryear.
- Dream Studio
- Education and Reforms
- Elephant Bath
- English Freedom
- Expand and Explode Strategy
- EyeNux and EyeOS
- FAT Partition
- Final Good Bye
- Fire Hazards
- Flash Drive
- Flying Linux
- Food For thought
- Free Blog Sites that I love to be assocoated with
- Free Show
- French Freedom
- Frills with no benefit
- Game Changer
- Give More & Take Less
- Global Warming
- God and Linux
- God Friendly
- Going and Gone Bananaz
- Gold Standard-Live and Desktop
- Google and New Trends
- Google Friendly
- Grand Finale
- Graphic Card Compatibility
- Hanthana Linux-Sinhala Edition
- Heavy Weght-DVD
- Homing Folder
- Homing In
- Hot Spot
- Human Rights
- IBM and Linux
- Ice Cream Sandwich
- Inactive but Beautiful Linux
- Incognito Linux
- Indian Politics
- Indian Premier League
- Installing Arch on a Flash Drive
- Internet and O.E.M
- Internet Use
- Irrational Game
- It is not My Choice
- Joli Cloud and JoliOS
- Jumping for Pleasure.
- Keeping Promises and Achieving Simple Targets
- Key Point
- Key Points
- Kindle on Fire
- Knock Out Punch
- Laptop Friendly
- Lateral Thinking
- Learning Linux
- Legacy OS-02
- Level of Citizenship
- Light Weight Browsers
- Linux Discussions
- Linux Extras
- Linux for Education
- Linux for Gamers
- Linux for Kids
- Linux Gamers Live
- Linux Games I Love to Play
- Linux Gold Standard
- Linux Graphics
- Linux in Sinhala
- Linux in Spanish
- Linux Innovations
- Linux Live
- Linux Live CD – Light Weight
- Linux Live CD – Middle Weight
- Linux Live CD – My Choices
- Linux Live CD – Standard
- Linux Mint
- Linux OEM Edition
- Linux Offensive Strategy
- Linux on Old Computers
- Linux out of My Favour
- Linux Should Have Utility
- Linux Telephony
- Linux Update
- Linux Updates
- Linux Utilities
- Linux when attacked
- Linux with French Accent
- Lions and Snow Leopards
- Little Wisdom
- LPS Linux
- Mage Ammo
- Maha Brahma
- Making a good cuppa TEA
- Mandriva Update
- Market forces
- Microsoft Productivity Time
- MOFO Linux
- Musix Linux
- My Contribution
- My Digital Footprint
- My Note of Discontent (NOD)
- My Philosophy
- My Plant Bioindicators
- My Selection of 20 Live CD/DVD
- My Selection of Live CD/DVD-Point Scheme
- My Way
- National News Papers
- Netbook Friendly
- New Features
- New ideas in Linux
- New Year Resolution
- Next Birth
- NoteBook Friendly
- Office Category-Linux
- OIL/GAS exploration
- Old Dog Haven
- Old Dog Heaven
- Onyx64-Ubuntu Unity Derivative
- Out of Sight and Out of Mind
- Partitioning with Linux
- Pearl Gourami
- Pendrive Linux
- Pendrive Linux My Love
- Pineapple Plant
- Piracy and emergence of Copyright Laws
- Plant for My Life
- Plant watching (not planet)
- Politics and Money
- Porteus Linux
- Porteus Linux (SLAX)
- Poseidon Linux
- Puppy is now Cloud Ready
- Puppy Linux
- Rain Fails?
- Recovery Is Possible (R.I.P)
- Removable Storage
- Sabayon 7 LXDE
- Save the Planet
- Scientific Packages
- Scoring Update on Ubuntu and Unity
- Secrets of Long life
- Seeds of Wisdom
- Senior Dogs
- Simple Gift
- Simple Mathematical Skills (SMS)
- Skype and Free Telephony
- Slate and Slate Pencils
- Slave Trade
- SLF-6.1-Scientific Linux Fermi
- Small is Beautiful
- SOPA is disgusting!
- Suckers and Leechers
- SUMO Linux
- SuSe 11.4
- System Rescue-Gentoo
- Tango Studio
- Tax Reforms
- Text Mode Only-Debian
- The answer is not Microsoft but AbiWord.
- The doctor is rght
- The Green Thing
- The Live CD List Web Site
- The Malady of the Democracy
- The Public
- Thus is French
- Top !0 Linux Distributions
- Top 10 Linux-My choise
- Top 25 Linux Distributions
- Total Quality Management (T.Q.M)
- Trinity Rescue Kit
- Tsunami or no tsunami
- TV Cards and Internet TV
- TV Stars
- Type Of Sri-Lankan Buddhists
- Ubuntu Derivative
- Ubuntu Fans
- Ubuntu One
- Ubuntu Studio
- Ubuntu's Unity
- Ubuntu-Unity Desktop
- Ultimate Edition
- Unusual Sighting of Eagles
- Update on Dropbox and Concerns
- Updating My Laptop at Night
- USB Booting
- Vanishing Species
- Vanity and Insanity
- Vi Editor
- Virtual C.E.O.s
- Virtual Email
- Virtual Medical Assistants (V.M.A) Secretaries
- Visually Handicapped
- Warning to Linux Newbies
- Water Logics
- Water Politics
- Water Sports
- Water Suppply
- Web Browsing
- Web Janitor
- Web OS
- West Indian Cricket
- What determines the Flight Paths of Birds?
- When not to help
- Who is a Doctor?
- Why I wont buy a Tabloid soon?
- WiFi Linux
- Will you eat it?
- Wind Breaks
- YOGA and ME
- Zenwalk Linux
Category Archives: My Contribution
When One is troubled with Windows What one can do?
It is strange that when one is troubled with Windows he or she goes into shell and blame oneself and not the operating system.
It is the opposite when one is troubled with Linux.
If he / she is a one who comes from the windows background without batting an eyelid he / she blames the distribution as if the whole hell has descended on him / her.
It is often a minor glitch he or she has overlooked to configure or may be downloading a suitable alternative package or worse come file a bug report to which a ready solution is available within 6 weeks.
If that does not help one can swap the distribution and select one that suits and download it.
(I have two books already available, not digital yet selecting a distribution and also the utilities and packages, if this blog entry is not adequate enough).
One problem with this approach is if one is not using a torrent download (even this can be painful if there is one seeder who has gone into hibernation at night-simply switched off the computer) it can be time consuming.
The download time can be awfully long and painful (I have enough of stories often due to failure of the telecoms but now never or do not complain because I download several at a time and I know one will be finished by morning when I am in deep sleep and dreaming some bizarre episode of Cloud Computing like star wars of yesteryear).
But once one has a CD (ideally D.V.D with almost everything one needs in one pack) the live session is breezy and installation is cakewalk if not catwalk.
Only thing Linux guys forget is to keep it running 24 hours (cron jobs at midnight are vital to get rid of the junk files that collect is one switches off the computer regularly; leave seeds for others to access) at least once or twice a week.
If you are lazy use a the sweeper or do it manually which I prefer now because of the frequent downloads.
Now come to Window guys/girls.
1. Do not blame yourself.
2. It is often the operating system at fault.
3. It can be due to a corrupt file or large macro sitting on the file and spying on you.
4. The pet device to blame is the latest virus and I bet you will not have a solution this side of 6 months.
With so many holes in the operating system which Microsoft will never able plug and then they will promise you the new version is very beautiful (but very slow to run unless you doubled up your RAM) and one should change and upgrade and works better (of course till the next ultra new version is ready for upgrade).
You are in this vicious cycle (V.C) and never get out of it.
If a guy of my age descends on me with a problem, I do not try to convert the guy to Linux fearing one gets a heart attack.
I ask a few questions.
If it a pirated copy.
If the answer is yes, thrash the pirated copy and get a copyrighted version.
This is I am openly campaigning for the guy to remain with Microsoft.
Microsoft should be happy with my efforts now but I do not charge anything for this advice.
The poor guy has to pay through his nose anyway.
Do not forget the virus guard and that also will cost you some quids.
Get somebody to format and install, I won’t do that for you unless he or wishes to have a Linux distribution dual booted.
His has to spend a half a day with me with food and beverages ready and ample.
This is Christmas time anyway.
If the guy has not got the money, then the scenario changes.
I ask what are the things that he uses computer for, regularly.
Invariably, the answer is that he uses the email and nothing else to be in contact with the family and friends.
Then I give him a breezy Live CD and ask the guy to use it till he himself try to find a remedy for the malady or ultimately ditch Microsoft and ask me to install the new distribution in his computer.
The long course works well for Linux and I of course have to have two visits instead of one.
That of course keeps our friendship lasting and viable.
Who says Microsoft is bad.
It makes “my sphere of activity” to enlarge and expand.
The hassle one goes through when one buys a computer with Microsoft installed is something that I never wondered for the past 3 to 5 years or so.
It is mind boggling for a Linux guy.
Once a year I format the root partition and sometimes leaving behind the home partition for a while and install the Old / New version of the Linux distribution in that partition.
This time I had to delay it till March (including Mageia) since most of the distributions including Debian delivered or released the distribution (except PCLinux which was right on the button during December) in late February or March.
The slowest and the laziest was SuSe, though.
My work and cricket world cup were other distractions.
Mind you I install many distributions for various reasons and for testing and not because I lack anything on PCLinuxFullMonty.
Other reason is I need to fill the hard disk so that it is not left idling and rotten.
I will list the hassle a Microsoft guy has to go through.
1. S/He has to backup the data.
2. S/He has to remove the crap the OEM guy install
3. S/He has to download the free software
4.Then has to install the paid software
5. Then anti-virus software
6. Then he has to get Firefox, Opera or safari
Suffice is to say in this time I will install 15 (3×5) distributions in my main computer and two other spare ones I use for testing.
One of the major benefit of Linux is I save lot of time and do other interesting things like watching cricket or water the plants or feed the fish and testing distributions and this time additionally Sinhala Linux distributions.
This list is endless and I will stop at this point and give you a list Linux Free (point number 3 expanded) software that one get FREE
Please go to NiNite web site and get them free if you are a Microsoft user.
If you have chosen the right Linux distribution of your choice you will get all this and more in one go except perhaps Flash.
1. Web Browser Group- Firefox, Chrome, Safari or Opera
2. Messaging Group-Skype, Pidgin, Google Talk, Yahoo, Messenger, Thunderbird
3. Media group-iTunes, audacity, KMplayer, HULU, Songbird and many more
4. Runtimes – Flash, Java
5. Imaging Group- GIMP, Picasa, Inkscape
6. Office Group-LibreOffice, OpenOffice,Adobe PDF Reader, CutePDF, SumatraPDF, Foxit reader
7. File sharing-uTorrent, eMule
8. Security- What a medical problem for sick machine?
9. Cloud computing-Dropbox, Google earth
10. Image Burners-Nero
11.Compression- win 7, winzip
13. Developer tools-Putty, Python, Filezilla
14. Others I may have missed
You do not have to do any of these if you select a Linux distribution and all are packed in one and installed in one go.
What a waste of time trying to run windows 7.
That is why Windows users do not have any creativity and continue to lack creativity at work place or on the go.
They are Potato (not hot potato) Guys bloated with Image of Crisis.
There is so much hype about Windows 7 and on my daughter’s request I went and bought a Windows 7 Starter Pack but kept on delaying opening of the pack to install it since the netbook I bought her already had Windows XP.
She has a working knowledge of Linux with the desktop she had and I bought the netbook stating that if it started giving problems she has to go back to Linux for her work.
Something simple like Lubuntu or Meego or something advances like Sabayon, PClinux or Mepis or even Decian.
Then I wanted to repartition (re-size) the hard disk but the XP installed did not allow me to repartition unless I delete the operating system with it.
Since I have paid for the operating system, I realize it is not a wise thing to do since if she wants there are enough computers at home to try Linux including her desktop.
Then everything went into cold storage and she was down with some illness and Windows 7 was completely forgotten.
Today as part of my full reformatting exercise, I deleted all my partition and booted this Windows 7 Starter Pack to see what it has.
It immediately recognized the 20 GiB ntfs partition (I made as an extra storage facility), the hard disk had and it started giving me instruction that it can be installed in one computer only and the blah blah.
It pulled out the internet wire fearing it is going to note my laptop machine number and the details and it’s identity and then allowed it to install.
Mind you this was the computer I bought in Singapore after big fight with the vendor stating that I did not want windows installed in it and I only want the machine and I know what to do with it.
Then I booted Linux while waiting in lounge of the Changi Airport with Linux a DVD I downloaded in Singapore (in one of my relative’s residence in Singapore).
After installing it goes up several times rebooting and this is the time it gives all your details to the Microsoft head quarters to subsequently send warning after warnings to lure you to buy all the extra utilities.
Finally it booted up and this one lets you have a password facility and the system has nothing at all to work with.
I told my daughter how stupid was to buy it and booted up and showed her the latest 10th anniversary Knoppix 6.4 live with compiz graphic and Pingus game in it and amazingly beautiful graphics.
It has enlightenment effects and LibreOffice and over 6000 t0 10,000 packages in it’s DVD.
Who is stupid Microsoft or little Me I will let you decide it.
Mind you I installed Knoppix and Sabayon KDE while typing this bloggy blog and tested PCLinuxfullmonty has 64 bits capability also, in between watching the last stages of the Sri-Lanka New Zealand cricket match too.
I must tell you Win 7 took a longer time to install and restarted several times.
Sabayon has a media center called XBMC and it is something windows users will never have the luxury of using.
PCLinuxfullmonty has blender and with these three distributions in my laptop I have amazing rich collection of graphic utilities.
I did not have to pay a red cent but had to spend some time downloading the 3 DVDs with K-Torrent.
Only limitation was the slow download speed of Sri-Lankan Telecoms.
Mind this is an introduction for anybody who is running short of an idea to write about in WordPress blogging site.
This is an idea I hit upon by reading a blog writing of a experienced civil pilot not a fighter pilot.
Have you ever thought of the 50 thinks that the spacesuit occupant in space won’t share with his body soul?
You probably have not but I was one who was very much interested in this in my school days and in early days as medical student.
I cannot remember what I wrote then but this is an attempt to revise some of those physiological constraints not in particular order or in any order of merits.
Suffice is to say I get a sickly feeling when I think of space (occupied especially by alien elements).
Imagine yourself trapped in a escalator without illumination (light) and the computer circuit controlling it up and down movement gone haywire and it is going up and down in an erratic fashion.
That is a the feeling I get moment I put on a spacesuit for travel.
That is one thing you must consider when paying for, an enormous amount for a single trip in space.
Is is worth the experience and the money?
Probably not but having said that I have tremendously high regard for those guys who trained for years end on to go to space. They are a dedicated lot and give them the due respect they deserve if you happen to meet anyone of them.
They were the human guinea pigs on space.
I often wonder how many times they felt sick and vertiginous even in their sleep.
Probably many many times and uncountable and that is the feeling I get if I am invited to wear a spacesuit and come hither for a go.
I will list the feeling inside my head with little imagination and some understanding of my own physiology if not of another being.
1. I hate the space constraint. This is the feeling one gets if one has to stay in a tiny hotel room in Singapore overnight due to some delay, cancellation or transit. I have had that feeling once or twice before traveling by cheap air flights. When you fly on a good aircraft and not on a budget or Mihin (Hemin) Lanka
2. I hate heights. Imagine you are in a hotel overnight on the 21st floor room due to flight cancellation. You are well away from a fire exit and there is a blackout and fire drill. You don’t have a pen torch. If you are one floor above you can think of jumping out and breaking your legs but not on 21st Floor. That is why rooms are cheap as you go above. Please pay a good some and ask for a room down below. It is better even if you go to Colombo taking a pen torch with you with these high rising development projects. Born to this earth with feet firmly grounded and ample space to breath pristine air (not now even in Kandy) as an embodiment, getting into a spacesuit is the luxury I do not want to avail myself not even in my incarnation.
3. Now about the daily routines I enjoy. Sleep to begin with. I think I can manage sleep upside down on space inside a spacesuit since there is nothing else I can do there except dreaming coming home. I can do this since I have learned how to sleep standing on an express bus plying from Kandy to Colombo on a Monday morning. I believe all Sri-Lankans are good at this. Only if you do not have money in your back pocket. There are plenty of pickpockets in this country including politicians who pick our vote without our knowledge. They are called pickvotters or even better pickpotters (stuffing the ballot boxes).
These two are new words, I have coined for the Oxford Dictionary with local elections due now).
4. What about food. I want enjoy the high calorie, high protein dehydrated food fads of space travelers especially they are floating about and not placed on a plate with a well laid out nice table. My worry is not the quality of food but how I to partake them in a more sociable way. Not empty them to my mouth from paper carton after paper carton.
5. Coming to spirits (if they are allowed like a commercial flight) and drinks. When I suck (not drink them) a little, I want them to stay a while in the mouth and oesophagus and stomach and not go flushing down like a vacuum cleaner on full throttle to the colon in one go..
6. After meal I want to brush my teeth as my good dental friends tell me with a tooth brush floating in air and the toothpaste all over the face with me trying to reach as far as it goes to the third molar.
7. That also I can manage but how about a quick spend a penny in the loo with my prostrate pushing hard on the correct track inside but the squirt getting between my spacesuit and the underwear. That is my major worry since I will never master my physiology how ever much I train on earth and mid air.
8. Then the master job of course I have decided one last one here and never in the shuttle till I come home and take some constipating medicare one a week before the departure. I do not want my smelly secrets floating in air and taking pictures of me in flight.
No thank you.
9. Last but not least I fear the algae and the fungi I have been accustomed on earth and living with me with mutual understanding all along my life for years taking advantage of the flight and growing all over me. In nails, wind pipe, mouth and all of my privacies.
10. Last of all I love scratching my skin, just for fun and any other accessible point from my crown to the rump. With these fungi floating around and waiting for a breach, I won’t be able enjoy that luxury.
11. As for the rubbish I collect on flight no problem. We are trained to drop at any advantage point in the town and the Municipalities never clean them. I just open the window and drop it down when we are centering round Sri-Lanka with a note stating “coming from space shuttle in orbit no valuables dropped but destined for Sri-Lankans, war heroes included”.
This is why when President Obama invited me for a flight in space, I refused and gave 0ver 100 volunteers from our parliament elected and wanting to get elected. He of course refused nay parliamentarians after the Health bill was bailed out.
The pelican was his annual pilgrimage to Ceylon to avoid harsh winter and got trapped in the Batticoloa floods and was waiting to devour some unfortunate sea fish that have come ashore. When he was about to partake the first mouthful of fish in came the Tortoised Chief Minister (TCM) from nowhere and warned him not to do so.
He was puzzled.
I have been eating fish all my life how dare you intervene in my cuisine.
Brother do not be annoyed.
I will tell you the reason.
They are poisoned by accident and not by purpose or design.
We got a consignment of food for flood victims from UNO and in the transport of it on a vehicle with fertilizer by some strange coincidence the bags’ label changed from UNO to USA and a certain politician in Colombo decided that they were no good for human consumption and not even for animals.
Then the local politician requested that they were to be dumped into sea.
The transport man designed a coup.
The food items were quickly changed hands with a label UREA and UREA was changed to USA by substituting S for EA. Then only a few UREA bags that contained deadly cadmium were dumped with political acumen to the sea in front of starving residents and they were asked to go fishing in troubled waters!
So you may now go fishing in troubled waters!
The pelican was visibly annoyed.
I traveled over 8000 miles to land hear on my holidays and you guys spoil it for me.
Don’t you people advertise come here and tither?
Sorry for the misadventure it would have been a different story if the weather gods did not intervene.
The TCM said in a quiet voice.
You may go down further and find another island he suggested.
There are no islands till Antarctica and I haven’t got the strength to fly that far.
Then he asked are you good in navigation.
Yes of course and if I may ask you why you raised that question?
Even though I am here I still have some connection with the Air Force Top Brass and I can fix you a job with them till spring with full on board service.
He was not happy but picked the crab instead and took to flight and landed on a tree top.
He tried hard to pierce the shell bone but could not and in with anger dumped the fellow down but it landed with a thud and turned upside up downside down and side tracked safely to water.
This he has never seen before and went back to the now friendly TCM and asked how come the shell of a Sir-Lankan crab is so hard?
Elementary my dear!
He was in charge of my armed car when in service.
He was also in charge of making service to my vehicle with three quotation in hand which is the usual practice.
He was given the bullet proof metal sample for verification.
He without my knowledge changed the specification to inferior quality metal and hid the real metal sample under his helmet and pocketed out the contract extras.
Then in the final blast of which we all died in an unfortunate accident the metal got stuck to his skin.
He is a hard nut in any case and was difficult even for me to pierce his intentions!
In that case I say yes to your offer with some reservation.
That was how the pelican was made a the flying trainer for healthy remuneration.
You have to wait why he quit and deserted the post for my next edition on web.
Keep counting the SiRs please.
Please note even though these stories are quite akin to Buddhist stories and anthology, they are not designed for Dhamma sermons and any recitals without my implied consent will be strictly prohibited.
The chief minister who took over from the TCM was mildly hurt when in a routine test a bullet pierced the serviced part of the vehicle and went inside. It was an indirect hit; that is why the injuries were minimal.
He quickly dumped the vehicle to junk and bought a new one from the fresh quota allocated to him. He did not forget to send a telegram to the ex-officer thanking him for his service acumen.
I had to deliver it through my special courier service in conjunction with Apaya International.
The story related before is not complete without an enjoindre.
I will be brief.
In addition to wearing shoes marching according to military discipline was another thing we hated.
The way we could avoid being selected was to come to school without shoes..
We leave home with shoes on to comply with home discipline but leave them in a safe place (hide).
Nobody would will steal the shoes with their “toejam smell”.
That is the word we use for smelly shoes.
In the parade of course we have many ways to disrupt the proceedings including putting the wrong foot in front or both foot and hand on the same side in front when we march (very difficult in real life but we could do it perfectly).
So one day the ones without shoes were asked to tie a handkerchief around one leg (for right) and march in a separate platoon.
This was fun for us.
Instead of right we say Lensu (handkerchiefed leg) Kakula and for left Nikam (leg without the handkerchief) Kakula and march.
We would RHYME Lensu Kakula and Nikam Kakula INSTEAD of RIGHT and LEFT.
That was fun.
Ultimately they had to made me the sergeant of the platoon to get things working.
We got uniforms shoes and the accessory and we played the game by rules of engagement and if I can remember right we were island 2nd in the overall championship.
We scored heavily on sports (me specially under 12 champion and under 14 champion runner) and inspections if not the march past.
I gave up cadet after one go since I hated the food and the cold weather at Diyathalawa and I left this regimented school too later.
That was my service to the nation as a cadet.